The New York Times reports:
United States troops have resumed large-scale counter terrorism missions against the Islamic State in northern Syria, military officials say, nearly two months after President Trump’s abrupt order to withdraw American troops opened the way for a bloody Turkish cross-border offensive.
The new operations show that despite Mr. Trump’s earlier demand for a complete withdrawal of all American forces from Syria, the president still has some 500 troops in the country, many of them in combat, for the foreseeable future.
“Over the next days and weeks, the pace will pick back up against remnants of ISIS,” Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr., the commander of the military’s Central Command, told reporters on the sidelines of the Manama Dialogue security conference in Bahrain on Saturday.
But, but, but…Trump said we completely defeated ISIS????? https://t.co/cilwdEuIKB
— Joe Walsh (@WalshFreedom) November 26, 2019
U.S. commandos resume large-scale counterterrorism operations against ISIS in Northern Syria with Syrian Kurdish fighters they abandoned last month https://t.co/zrcpHALhzo
— Eric Schmitt (@EricSchmittNYT) November 25, 2019