Florida Man Dies From Brain-Eating Amoeba After Rinsing His Sinuses With County Tap Water [VIDEO]

Tampa’s NBC affiliate reports:

A Florida resident died after being infected by a rare amoeba last week, health officials say.

According to a WFTX report, Charlotte County health officials said the unidentified male patient likely contracted Nagleria fowleri after rinsing out his sinuses with tap water.

Eric Milbrandt, director of the marine laboratory at the Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation, said the organism can only enter the body through the nose.

Read the full article.