E-Bike Battery Sparks Five-Alarm Fire In The Bronx

Gothamist reports:

Seven people were injured after an e-scooter battery exploded in the back of a Bronx supermarket Sunday morning, officials said.

The fast-moving blaze ripped through a commercial building on 181st Street and Grand Concourse, causing “an extraordinary amount of damage,” according to FDNY Commissioner Laura Kavanaugh.

Hundreds of firefighters were still working to contain the fire on Sunday afternoon when Mayor Eric Adams and fire officials held a press conference to discuss the familiar culprit: a lithium ion battery commonly used by e-bikes and scooters.

Read the full article.