The Roman Catholic religious order of Jesuits said on Tuesday that accusations of sexual, psychological and spiritual abuse against a prominent member of the order were highly credible and that restrictions on him had been tightened. The order said on its website that it would start an “internal procedure” against the priest, Father Marko Ivan Rupnik, 69, a well-known religious artist.
About 25 people, mostly former nuns, have accused Rupnik of various forms of abuse. One ex-nun told how he used what she called psychological control to force her into sexual acts, and deployed “cruel aggression” to “destroy” her, particularly after she refused to have three-way sex. His superior in the order, Father Johan Verschueren, used both male and female pronouns to describe Rupnik’s accusers.
Read the full article,
Jesuits say abuse accusations against priest are highly credible https://t.co/amIH4C19eX pic.twitter.com/jXzs9rJzdn
— Reuters World (@ReutersWorld) February 21, 2023