Couple Who Lost Grandmother’s Car Charged In Riot

Law & Crime reports:

A Michigan couple who drove to Washington, D.C., from New York were forced to take a bus back home after losing track of their car while allegedly participating in the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Isaac Thomas, 20, and Christina Legros, 22, were arrested in Michigan on multiple charges related to the incident, the Justice Department announced Tuesday. Legros was arrested Monday, the DOJ said; Thomas was arrested on Jan. 26.

According to prosecutors, Thomas and Legros drove from Michigan to New York on Dec. 27, 2020, to celebrate the new year, traveling in a grey Chevrolet Equinox that belonged to Legros’ grandmother. On Jan. 5, 2021, they drove to Washington and stayed at a hotel in Alexandria, Virginia, parking the car “on an unknown side street nearby.”

From the Justice Department:

Isaac Thomas, 20, of Flint, Michigan, was arrested on January 26, 2022 in Flint, Michigan on the felony charges of assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers with a deadly or dangerous weapon, obstruction of law enforcement during a civil disorder, corruptly obstructing an official proceeding, entering or remaining on restricted grounds without lawful authority to do so while carrying or using a deadly or dangerous weapon.

Christina Legros, 22, of Beaverton, Michigan, was arrested yesterday in Flint, Michigan, on the misdemeanor charges of entering or remaining on restricted grounds without lawful authority to do so, engaging in disruptive conduct on restricted grounds, engaged in disorderly or disruptive conduct within the Capitol Building, and parading or demonstrating in the Capitol Building.

According to court documents, the two defendants were among a mob that illegally engaged in a physical confrontation with law enforcement officers on the west front of the United States Capitol.

Isaac Thomas used a flagpole on fully uniformed police officers during that confrontation, with the interaction captured on Christina Legros’s phone.

Eight minutes after Thomas swung the flagpole at the first officer, at another confrontation with police Thomas struck an officer with the United States Capitol Police to help the mob move up the steps to the upper west terrace.

Both defendants entered the Capitol through the Senate Wing Door and paraded to the House side of the Capitol until returning to the central room known as the Crypt, where they ascended to the second floor.

Once at the second floor, the two entered a suite of offices designated for the Speaker of the House where Thomas recorded a video message on his cell phone: “ The United States of America thinks we were playing. Do not let them take our country. Mike Pence failed us today. Ya’ll better take your country back. Take your freedom back for the sake of your families and your children!”

Both defendants then moved to a lobby outside the Old Senate Chamber where Thomas again clashed with officers who were attempting to keep rioters away from the Senate Chamber. During this clash, the defendants were separated and left the Capitol building separately.