New York City’s ABC affiliate reports:
Dozens of people were injured in a fire at a residential building in New York City on Saturday morning, authorities said. The three-alarm fire broke out on the 20th floor of a midtown Manhattan high-rise, with a “heavy fire condition,” according to the NYPD. Thirty-eight people were hospitalized due to the fire, including two critically due to smoke inhalation, officials said. Five were in serious condition and the rest were minor injuries, according to FDNY Commissioner Laura Kavanagh.
Five members of the FDNY are among the patients, officials said. “There’s likely to be an increase in the number of patients as more and more families come down and are evaluated by EMS,” EMS Academy Chief Joseph Pataky told reporters. Authorities believe an occupant was repairing electric bikes and the fire originated directly behind the front door, he said. FDNY has recovered at least five bikes from the apartment.
Read the full article.
@CitizenApp .@CitizenApp @FDNY .@FDNY #FDNY in my ENTIRE life I’ve never seen anything more #HEROIC than what i witnessed from #NYC apt. Woman rescued by #NYBRAVEST #FDNY in apt fire, tried to escape smoke, she slipped, hung 15 stories up. THANK U to our heroes!!!! #FDNY @FDNY pic.twitter.com/Dxp44I9D89
— Patti Ryan (@StrepGal) November 5, 2022
Another unreal video surfaces showing the @FDNY firefighter dangling their SCBA to the occupant below, until they can be rescued.
— Kyle.Taylor (@livingbyyyz) November 5, 2022
NYC is on track to record twice as many fires caused by e-bike and e-scooter batteries as last year — and 4 times as many as the year before. https://t.co/LWbh841A5v
— NPR (@NPR) October 30, 2022
Officials: NY fire caused by lithium battery injures 38 https://t.co/2gn6pBNw35
— KCRG-TV9 (@KCRG) November 5, 2022