The Pentagon said Friday that a U.S. drone strike in Kabul last month killed as many as 10 civilians including up to seven children.
“This strike was taken in the earnest belief that it would prevent an imminent threat to our forces and the evacuees at the airport, but it was a mistake,” U.S. Marine Corps General Kenneth McKenzie, commander of U.S. Central Command, said Friday.
“As the combatant commander. I am fully responsible for this strike and its tragic outcome,” McKenzie, who oversees U.S. military operations in the region, added. The Pentagon originally said that the strike, which occurred Aug. 29, killed two ISIS-K fighters believed to be involved in planning attacks against U.S. forces in Kabul.
Read the full article.
Zemari Ahmadi worked for an NGO in Kabul getting food to hungry Afghans. On Aug. 29 US military killed him in a drone strike; the big objects he put in his car trunk that day were containers of water for his family – not explosives, as US intel thought pic.twitter.com/iefUq0Lehe
— Mary Walsh (@CBSWalsh) September 17, 2021
Gen. Frank McKenzie, the head of U.S. Central Command, says, “It is unlikely that the vehicle and those who died were associated with ISIS-K or were a direct threat to U.S. forces.” https://t.co/kJ8JM1gSZK
— Kaitlan Collins (@kaitlancollins) September 17, 2021
Gen. McKenzie: “I am now convinced that as many as 10 civilians, including up to 7 children were tragically killed in that strike. […] it was a mistake. […] I am fully responsible for this strike and this tragic outcome.” https://t.co/8DyCduCiHu pic.twitter.com/SoXEurrh2e
— The Hill (@thehill) September 17, 2021