Miami’s NBC News affiliate reports:
A South Florida school district that voted last week to require facial coverings when in-person learning resumes this month now says it will comply with Gov. Ron DeSantis’ executive order preventing mask mandates in schools, rather than enforce the recommendation of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
“Broward County Public Schools intends to comply with the Governor’s latest Executive Order,’’ says the district statement, released Monday afternoon. The Republican governor has signed an order empowering the state’s Board of Education to withhold funding from districts that enforce a mask mandate.
.@browardschools has officially withdrawn its mask mandate after Gov. Ron DeSantis threatened to withhold funding from districts that require face coverings, rather than enforce the recommendation of the #CDChttps://t.co/Rgxuoi1ewP
— CBS4 Miami (@CBSMiami) August 3, 2021