The Associated Press reports:
A man upset over state-ordered coronavirus restrictions was sentenced to just over six years in prison Wednesday for planning to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, a significant break that reflected his quick decision to cooperate and help agents build cases against others.
Ty Garbin admitted his role in the alleged scheme weeks after his arrest last fall. He is among six men charged in federal court but the only one to plead guilty so far. It was a key victory for prosecutors as they try to prove an astonishing plot against the rest.
“I cannot even begin to imagine the amount of stress and fear her family felt because of my actions. And for that I am truly sorry,” the 25-year-old aviation mechanic told the judge.
Read the full article.
Trump had earlier urged supporters to “LIBERATE” Michigan from stay-at-home mandates. “Threats continue,” Gov. Whitmer said in June. “I have looked out my windows and seen large groups of heavily armed people within 30 yards of my home.” https://t.co/dMceEmCiA9
— snopes.com (@snopes) August 26, 2021
He said they trained at his property, constructing a “shoot house” to resemble Whitmer’s vacation home and “assaulting it with firearms.” https://t.co/RqssfX27XD
— NBC12 WWBT Richmond (@NBC12) August 26, 2021