USA Today reports:
Engineers were evaluating options Friday for demolishing the remaining portion of a condo building that partially collapsed outside Miami last week, leaving 22 people dead and 126 unaccounted for.
Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said Friday officials have had “a couple of meetings” with engineers, who are “meeting regularly” to determine what the process would look like.
“We’re proceeding with our evaluation of all of the factors all of the time, and the impacts related to the demolition of the building while the search and rescue continues as our top priority,” Levine Cava said in a news briefing.
ABC News reports:
At least 20 people, including three children, have been confirmed dead and 128 others remain unaccounted for since a 12-story residential building partially collapsed in South Florida’s Miami-Dade County last week.
Two more bodies were pulled from the rubble on Thursday night, including that of a 7-year-old girl who was the daughter of a Miami firefighter, according to Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava.
An emergency declaration has been signed by the mayor to demolish the building. Will require a green light from engineers first. Signing it now, she says, means they can move quickly once they determine a method.
— Katie Simpson (@CBCKatie) July 2, 2021
Watch: The Miami-Dade mayor says they’re planning to demolish the remaining building https://t.co/AmD2ItGJYI
— The Independent (@Independent) July 2, 2021