The Associated Press reports:
At a hearing, Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Michael Hanzman ordered that the process begin to sell the site of Champlain Towers South, which could fetch $100 million to $110 million according to court records. The court-appointed receiver handling finances related to the condo, attorney Michael Goldberg, said the judge wants the sale to move quickly.
Goldberg said the decision did not necessarily preclude a buyer from turning at least a portion of the site into a memorial, as some people have advocated.
Other survivors want the structure rebuilt so they can move back in. The judge also approved returning $2.4 million in deposits that some Champlain condo owners had already made toward an assessment to pay for $15 million in planned major repairs.
Read the full article.
The land where the collapsed Florida condo tower used to stand should be sold, with profits going to victims and their families, a judge said.https://t.co/Yu6s9HW5Wo
— New York Daily News (@NYDailyNews) July 15, 2021