Minneapolis’s CBS News affiliate reports:
Judge Peter Cahill says he will call back the seven seated jurors so that they can be questioned in light of the the City of Minneapolis’ $27 million civil settlement with George Floyd’s family.
In a motions hearing Monday morning, Eric Nelson, the attorney for former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, said the defense found last Friday’s press conference regarding the settlement “profoundly disturbing.”
He said that Mayor Jacob Frey is a lawyer and should “know better” than to hold such a press conference in the middle of jury selection in the biggest criminal case in Minnesota history.
Read the full article.
Derek Chauvin’s attorney asks for continuance and change of venue in George Floyd case. https://t.co/2rNCLuSYFb
— James Hohmann (@jameshohmann) March 15, 2021
Defense attorney Joe Tamburino, who is not affiliated with the case, says the defense could motion for a mistrial on the basis the jury could be affected by last week’s press conference. pic.twitter.com/OwRvfWrwEx
— WCCO – CBS Minnesota (@WCCO) March 15, 2021