Carl Icahn Quashes Auction To Explode Trump Casino

Philadelphia’s CBS News affiliate reports:

Atlantic City has set a new date for the implosion of the former Trump Plaza hotel and casino. It will come down on Feb. 17 at 9 a.m. Mayor Marty Small made the announcement Thursday.

Monday’s date was scrapped after the building owner, billionaire investor Carl Icahn, opposed a charity auction for the right to press the implosion button. Icahn objected to that plan on safety grounds, saying a member of the public chosen to trigger the detonation could be injured by flying debris, as could any spectators nearby.

He sent a cease-and-desist order to the auction house that was soliciting the bids, which canceled the auction. But Icahn said he will replace the $175,000 in bids that had already been made that would have gone to the Boys & Girls Club of Atlantic City.

The New York Daily News reports

Anyone excited to watch the once-iconic building turn into dust can place a bid to join a “viewing party” from nearby hotel rooms. “It’s a great day here in the city of Atlantic City,” Mayor Marty Small told reporters at a news conference.

Trump Plaza closed its doors in 2014 after three decades in business. It survived a 1992 bankruptcy before Donald Trump cut ties with the city in 2009. The building has been falling into pieces in recent years and has long been set for demolition.