Via press release from the FDA:
On December 30, 2020, Midwestern Pet Food, Inc. announced a recall of certain lots of Sportmix pet food products after FDA was alerted about reports of at least 28 dogs that have died and eight that have fallen ill after consuming the recalled Sportmix pet food.
Multiple product samples were tested by the Missouri Department of Agriculture and found to contain very high levels of aflatoxin. Aflatoxin is a toxin produced by the mold Aspergillus flavus and at high levels it can cause illness and death in pets. The toxin can be present even if there is no visible mold.
FDA is issuing this advisory to notify the public about the potentially fatal levels of aflatoxin in pet food products that may still be on store shelves, online, or in pet owners’ homes. FDA is conducting follow-up activities at the manufacturing facility.
This is a developing situation and the FDA will update this page with additional information as it becomes available.
The recall includes dog and cat foods produced by Midwestern Pet Foods, maker of Sportmix.https://t.co/YphqhWA3Mf
— KMTV 3 News Now (@3NewsNowOmaha) December 31, 2020
RECALL ALERT: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recalled certain varieties of Sportmix pet food due to toxic levels of aflatoxin. https://t.co/mMPirnlSbP
— WJZ | CBS Baltimore (@wjz) December 31, 2020