The Washington Post reports:
In a striking interview on “60 Minutes” Sunday, Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s top infectious-disease expert, said he was “absolutely not” surprised President Trump contracted the novel coronavirus after watching him flout public health guidelines at a White House event last month.
The president and more than a dozen other people who had close contact with him in late September — including many maskless attendees at a Sept. 26 Rose Garden event honoring Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett — tested positive for the novel coronavirus earlier this month.
When asked by CBS News chief medical correspondent Jon LaPook if Trump’s covid-19 diagnosis surprised him, Fauci answered, “Absolutely not.”
Fauci spoke candidly in a 60 Minutes interview with CBS’ Dr. Jon LaPook about his experiences with President Donald Trump on the White House Coronavirus Task Force.
LaPook asked Fauci head on if the White House had been “controlling” when he could speak with the media. “You know, I think you’d have to be honest and say yes,” replied Fauci. “I certainly have not been allowed to go on many, many, many shows that have asked for me.”
— 60 Minutes (@60Minutes) October 18, 2020
“Real and credible threats to my life and safety…death threats,” says Fauci. He adds his family is harassed and that’s why even going for a walk with his wife, he has security. “That’s sad that a public health message triggers such venom”
— Chris Jansing (@ChrisJansing) October 18, 2020