Bloomberg News reports:
A federal judge initiated contempt of court proceedings over allegations that the U.S. Commerce Department defied her order not to rush completion of the census.
U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh said during a hearing Tuesday that Monday’s announcement that Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross is targeting Oct. 5 to wrap up the once-a-decade population count “is doing exactly” what she ordered the agency not to do last week.
The judge said the proceeding could be identified by a more formal name but made clear she believes Ross violated the order. “You don’t have to call it contempt,” she said. “You can call it something else.” The judge set a Friday hearing.
— The Hill (@thehill) September 30, 2020