Fifteen cases of methanol poisoning caused by swallowing alcohol-based hand sanitizers were reported in Arizona and New Mexico in May and June, leading to four deaths, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said Wednesday.
Three of the 15 poisoning case patients in the Southwestern states were discharged with visual impairment, the CDC said.
An earlier CDC survey taken shortly after President Donald Trump publicly asked whether injecting disinfectants could treat COVID-19 found more than a third of Americans misused such products to try to prevent infection.
15 adults have been poisoned after drinking hand sanitizer that contained methanol, the CDC says. 4 people died, and another 3 developed vision problems, a known side effect of methanol poisoning. https://t.co/a0pgkouFgU
— NBC News (@NBCNews) August 5, 2020