NBC News reports:
President Donald Trump on Tuesday announced he is halting funding for the World Health Organization after the organization criticized his early response to the coronavirus epidemic.
Trump accused the WHO of “severely mismanaging and covering up” the coronavirus crisis, specifically the initial outbreak in Wuhan, China. Trump previously threatened to cut off funding after the organization criticized his travel restrictions on China.
“It could have been contained at its source,” Trump said, adding that that WHO “pushed China’s misinformation about the virus…and there was no need for travel bans.”
The same WHO that offered the US a _working coronavirus test_ months ago and which the Trump administration turned down, instead wasting precious time having the CDC develop its own test—which didn’t work. THAT World Health Organization. https://t.co/KUDWWOW7s5
— Julia Ioffe (@juliaioffe) April 14, 2020
BREAKING: Trump just announced that he’s halting WHO funding. Yesterday, the org’s director-general said he was optimistic about their relationship and U.S. funding pic.twitter.com/yI5aEaJEbh
— NowThis (@nowthisnews) April 14, 2020
— Charles M. Blow (@CharlesMBlow) April 14, 2020
If there’s one thing that inspires confidence in a crisis it’s misplaced rage from a “leader” https://t.co/mqKvVhGj0r
— Seth Abramson (@🏠) (@SethAbramson) April 14, 2020