Politico Europe reports:
All non-essential workplaces in Spain will close for two weeks to try to curb the spread of the coronavirus, Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez said Saturday after the country’s death toll climbed to nearly 5,700.
Speaking at a press conference, Sánchez said the measure will come into force Monday and last until April 9. Workers will receive their usual wages but will have to make up lost hours at a later date, he said. The goal is to reduce travel to levels registered during the weekends, he added.
Sánchez had faced pressure to tighten the country’s lockdown from regional leaders, including from his own Socialist party, anxious to slow the spread of the virus across the country from Madrid, officials said.
NEW: Saturday 28 March update of coronavirus mortality trajectories
• UK passes Italy, 2nd only to Spain for deaths at this stage of outbreak 📈
• US deaths doubling every 3 days, curve keeps steepening
• India tracking US
— John Burn-Murdoch (@jburnmurdoch) March 28, 2020
#UPDATE Spain toughened its nationwide lockdown, halting all non-essential activities as it stepped up its fight against the deadly coronavirus epidemic that has so far claimed 5,690 lives in the country https://t.co/EHbDNZI9GN
— AFP news agency (@AFP) March 28, 2020