USA Today reports:
An United Airlines flight had to make an emergency landing after a “thermal runaway event.” Flight 1456 from Newark, New Jersey, to Nassau, Bahamas, diverted to Daytona Beach Airport Wednesday after a phone battery charger caught fire mid-flight, the airport confirmed on Twitter.
The fire was contained to a passenger’s bag and placed inside a fire retardant case after bursting into flames, Daytona Beach Airport added. There were no injuries to the flight’s 130 passengers and five crew members, and no damage to the plane. The Florida airport shared a picture of the charred devices.
A @united Airbus 320 from Newark, NJ headed to Bahamas made an emergency landing @FlyDAB after this battery charger caught fire during flight. Fire was contained to the passenger’s bag, put in fire retardant case until the plane landed safely. No injuries or damages. pic.twitter.com/VhDuuFF8CD
— DaytonaBeach Airport (@FlyDAB) February 26, 2020