Media Matters reports:
Hugo Balta, president of The National Association of Hispanic Journalists, released a statement Thursday, declaring that it was rescinding the invitation for Fox News to cosponsor the organization’s presence at the upcoming Excellence In Journalism conference in San Antonio, TX — and returning Fox’s check for $16,666 as part of the deal.
The reason: continued commentary on Fox News that presents immigration at the U.S. southern border as an “invasion” of the country by “illegal aliens,” even in the weeks after the August 3 mass shooting by a white nationalist in El Paso, TX.
Fox News has continued to push this language on its broadcasts, which the NAHJ says it has attempted to discuss with Fox management for years — and apparently alluded to some kind of weak response by the network.
The Huffington Post reports:
The decision to rescind Fox News’ sponsorship stems from racist remarks Fox News radio host Todd Starnes made last week, comparing Hispanic immigrants to a Nazi invasion.
On his eponymous radio show, Starnes said immigrants were “invading” the U.S. after mentioning the horrific mass shooting that took 22 lives in El Paso, Texas. The suspected gunman admitted to targeting Hispanic people.
“We have been invaded by a horde, a rampaging horde, of illegal aliens,” Starnes said, adding, “I believe that’s a fair description of what we have suffered here in this country.”