The San Jose Mercury News reports:
The man who fired his assault rifle into a crowd at the Gilroy Garlic Festival on Sunday likely “pre-planned” the attack that killed three and wounded 12, authorities said, a theory backed by the seizure of body armor and other tactical gear from his Nevada home.
Federal and local law enforcement also now believe 19-year-old Santino William Legan carried out the mass shooting by himself, based on the part of the investigation that entailed the review of footage from security cameras located throughout the city chronicling his movements prior to the melee.
Authorities previously have said that they were looking into social media posts Legan put up just before the shooting, including one Instagram image with an apparent reference to the white supremacist manifesto “Might is Right or The Survival of the Fittest,” an 1890 work often mentioned on extremist websites.
The Sacramento Bee reports:
Gov. Gavin Newsom blamed President Donald Trump and Republicans for a “culture of gun violence” during a Monday appearance in Gilroy, where a gunman killed three people at a food festival the night before.
The Democratic governor said the president has failed to provide moral leadership on the issue and take on the “machismo” culture perpetuating mass shootings.
“It’s just sickening… the leadership today that just turns a blind eye and won’t do a damn thing to address these issues,” he told reporters Monday, according to a transcript provided by his office. “What’s goddamned absent in this country right now is moral authority.”
The San Francisco Chronicle reports:
The Nevada gun store owner who says he sold to the suspected Gilroy Garlic Festival shooter has spoken out on his official Facebook page.
Santino William Legan, who police identified as the Gilroy gunman, purchased an assault rifle in Nevada, where the Bay Area native was living at the time. On Monday, Big Mikes Gun and Ammo in Fallon, Nev. posted on Facebook they were the sellers.
“I did not know this individual. He ordered the rifle off my internet page. When I did see him, he was acting happy and showed no reasons for concern,” the post reads. “I would never ever sell any firearm to anyone who acted wrong or looks associated with any bad group like white power. Everyone is my brother and sister and I am mourning for the families.”
San Francisco’s CBS affiliate reports:
A law enforcement official told The Associated Press that investigators believe the gunman used a WASR-10, which is a Romanian variant of the AK-47, selling for about $700 at Big Mike’s Guns and Ammo in Fallon, Nevada, where he picked up the weapon.
“That weapon could not be sold in California. That weapon cannot be imported into the state of California,” California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said. “The reach of the California law ends at our borders, and so we cannot control what other states do, and that’s what makes it so tough.”
Under a California law that went into effect Jan. 1, residents younger than 21 are barred from buying rifles or shotguns unless they are in the military or law enforcement. Those 18 and up can buy rifles in Nevada.