Chicago’s ABC affiliate reports:
Charges against actor Jussie Smollett have been dropped, his attorneys said Tuesday. Smollett is in court to make an emergency court appearance. In a statement, Smollett’s attorneys Tina Glandian and Patricia Brown Holmes said, “Today, all criminal charges against Jussie Smollett were dropped and his record has been wiped clean of the filing of this tragic complaint against him. Jussie was attacked by two people he was unable to identify on January 29th. He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgement.”
The New York Times reports:
Mr. Smollett, who had been indicted on 16 counts of disorderly conduct, was removed from the rest of the current season of “Empire.” It is unclear what Fox, the network which airs “Empire,” will do now; it did not immediately respond to a request for comment. It is also unclear why Cook County prosecutors dropped the charges. A spokeswoman for the State’s Attorney’s Office did not immediately respond to a request for comment, and a spokesman for the Chicago Police Department referred questions to the State’s Attorney.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports:
The actor has reached a deferred prosecution deal with prosecutors that wipes out the charges against him. The $10,000 posted for Smollett’s bond will be turned over to the City of Chicago Law Department. “After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollet’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” the Cook County state’s attorney’s office said in statement.
BREAKING: Attorneys for “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett say charges alleging he lied to police about attack have been dropped.
— The Associated Press (@AP) March 26, 2019
— ABC 7 Chicago (@ABC7Chicago) March 26, 2019