Secretary of State Mike Pompeo claimed Sunday that North Korea remains a nuclear threat, straying from past comments President Donald Trump has made, but the secretary of state also maintained that the country’s leader Kim Jong Un continues to show commitment to denuclearizing the area.
When pressed about Trump no longer seeing North Korea as a nuclear threat, Pompeo said that’s not what Trump said. “What he said was the efforts that had been made in Singapore, this commitment that Chairman Kim made, have substantially taken down the risk to the American people,” Pompeo said. “We’re aiming to achieve that.”
Just landed – a long trip, but everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office. There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea. Meeting with Kim Jong Un was an interesting and very positive experience. North Korea has great potential for the future!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 13, 2018
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says he believes North Korea remains a nuclear threat and disputes the fact that President Trump thinks otherwise. “What he said was … the efforts that made in Singapore … have substantially taken down the risk to the American people.” #CNNSOTU pic.twitter.com/APnZifBTEj
— CNN (@CNN) February 24, 2019
Does the White House not realize we have it on video and can search tweets? https://t.co/PJjkIgu9bv
— Crooks and Liars (@crooksandliars) February 24, 2019
Exclusive: Big NYT story on Pompeo, evangelist for Trump. Easy to anger, he erupted over VP Pence in Poland. He publicly refuses to acknowledge intel assessments. He strains U.S. alliances & is tested by North Korea, Iran and Venezuela. w/ @SangerNYT https://t.co/agZlsW0RZA
— Edward Wong (@ewong) February 24, 2019
— Mediaite (@Mediaite) February 24, 2019