NBC News reports:
Former presidential adviser and longtime Republican operative Roger Stone admitted in federal court papers filed Monday that he has spread false information online.
In the settlement, which was first reported by the Wall Street Journal, Stone retracted the information and apologized to Guo Wengui, an outspoken critic of the Chinese government also known as Miles Kwok.
A defamation lawsuit filed by Guo in May said Stone had used the far-right conspiracy theory site InfoWars to accuse Guo of making illegal political donations to Hillary Clinton and financing a presidential run by former Trump strategist Steve Bannon.
The Huffington Post reports:
In lieu of paying the damages, Stone must publish a retraction of the false statements on social media and run ads in the Journal, The New York Times and The Washington Post apologizing for his claims about Guo, who applied for asylum in the U.S. last year after the Chinese government grew hostile toward him.
Stone, whose actions during the election are being eyed by special counsel Robert Mueller, said in a statement Monday that his false statements were based on information he received in 2017 from Sam Nunberg, another adviser on Trump’s 2016 campaign. “I failed to do proper research before making those statements,” Stone said.
Former Trump campaign adviser Roger Stone admits to spreading lies on InfoWars and must run ads in national newspapers apologizing for making defamatory statements about a Chinese businessman https://t.co/68nZcOAy7Q
— The Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) December 18, 2018
BREAKING: Roger Stone has just settled a $100M defamation suit in which he admits to spreading lies on Alex Jones' InfoWars
You hear that you loony right wing nuts? Stone admitted to spreading FAKE NEWS on INFOWARS!!
Not the New York Times
— Brian Krassenstein (@krassenstein) December 18, 2018
Ex-Trump adviser Roger Stone has settled a $100 million InfoWars lies lawsuit https://t.co/XrFooYOWDx
— TIME (@TIME) December 18, 2018