The Associated Press reports:
The man accused of sending pipe bombs to prominent Democrats and critics of President Donald Trump has agreed to be transferred to New York to face the charges. At a hearing held in the federal court in Miami Friday morning, attorneys for Cesar Sayoc also said they would not seek his release on bail.
Federal prosecutors said the 56-year-old Sayoc should remain jailed until trial, calling him a danger to the community and a flight risk.
Earlier this week they filed a document outlining what they described as the “overwhelming” evidence the FBI has collected since his arrest. Prosecutors said Sayoc began planning his “terror campaign” in July, based on searches of his laptop, cellphone and other devices found in his van.
NBC News reports:
Federal prosecutors out of the Southern District of New York have charged him with five criminal counts: Interstate transport of explosives, mailing of explosives, threats against former presidents, making threatening interstate communications and assault of current or former officials.
He faces up to 48 years behind bars if convicted of all counts. Sayoc wore a khaki jail jumpsuit with his hands shackled at the waist. He was attentive as he sat in the jury book conferring with his lawyers but did not show any outward emotion. Defense lawyers said Sayoc will likely have a new legal team when he fights the charges in New York.