The New York Post reports:
The Bronx teen accused of fatally stabbing a 15-year-old classmate and nearly killing another walked free Wednesday on $250,000 bond. “I am grateful to the people who donated to my bond fund,” Abel Cedeno, 18, said in a statement handed out to the media, which he said would be his last public comments on the case.
“Specifically, I thank the many gay men who generously donated,” he wrote. “I’m grateful for the support of my family.” Cedeno was previously held in lieu of $500,000 bond after his indictment on manslaughter charges for the September attack, which left schoolmate Matthew McCree dead in a history class at the Urban Assembly School for Wildlife Conservation.
The teen, who claims he’s suffered years of bullying because of his sexuality, addressed his benefactors in a makeshift press release, saying, “You make me proud to be gay.” He added, “This nightmare which occurred on 09-27-17 has torn apart three families. Finally, thank you to my two gay attorneys for your hard work, trust and faith.”
RELATED: Quite surprisingly, viciously anti-LGBT state Sen. Ruben Diaz, who in 2011 led a massive anti-gay march in the Bronx, contributed $1000 to Cedeno’s bond. Earlier this month Diaz won a seat on the New York City Council, which might have something to do with this. His Senate seat will likely be filled by another Democrat from his very blue district.