Via press release:
Dear Truth Wins Out Supporters:
On our 11th anniversary, it is with a mixture of great sadness and overwhelming pride that I reluctantly announce that Truth Wins Out is closing down. All good things must come to an end – and it is time to say goodbye.
Truth Wins Out is closing because we accomplished our major goals. We helped expose and ultimately vanquish (with the help of other heroes) major ‘ex-gay’ programs including Love Won Out, Exodus International, and JONAH.
Yes, similar programs will always exist, as charlatans will provide a supply of snake oil to fill a demand. However, Truth Wins Out has created a robust legacy that irrefutably proves ‘ex-gay’ activists are frauds and such programs are a hoax that exploits hate. We battled these groups tooth and nail, in their heyday, when they were truly a threat to LGBT rights. Indeed, Truth Wins Out was started when George W. Bush invited ‘ex-gay’ activists to the White House in 2006.
I ask you for one final tax-deductible donation today. It is important that we keep our websites (TruthWinsOut.org, LGBTScience.org, TWOCARE.org) operating in perpetuity. There is priceless information for reporters, parents, and people who need facts on ‘ex-gay’ programs and the religious right. It would be nothing short of a tragedy if these websites, bursting with history and knowledge, disappeared.
I need your help to keep the websites up and running. If you have ever given to Truth Wins Out – I urge you do so one final time to ensure our resources remain available into the future. Please consider a $25, $50, $100, $250, $500, or even a $1000 exit contribution.
As a reminder of our portfolio, Truth Wins Out accomplished:
• Getting the APA to send a letter condemning Focus on the Family and NARTH by name in 2006
• Protested dozens of ‘ex-gay’ conferences across the country from Alaska to Alabama
• Launched undercover investigation proving Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) and her husband Marcus own a clinic that practices ‘ex-gay’ therapy (We thank John Becker for his key role going undercover)
• Organized the American Prayer Hour, an event that shined a spotlight on the role American evangelicals played in the introduction of Uganda’s Anti-Homosexuality Bill.
• Led successful petition campaign to have Apple remove Exodus International’s ‘ex-gay’ iPhone app
• In a joint investigation with South Florida Gay News in 2010, TWO exposed JONAH’s Arthur Abba Goldberg as a Wall Street con artist and convicted felon
• Worked with Southern Poverty Law Center in their amazing and successful legal effort to shut down Jews Offering New Alternatives to Homosexuality (JONAH).
• Brought enormous attention to the harm caused by the ‘ex-gay’ myth. This includes ABC World News Tonight, ABC’s Nightline, ABC’s Good Morning America, MSNBC’s The Rachel Maddow Show, MSNBC’s The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell, MSNBC News with Thomas Roberts, MSNBC’s Hardball with Chris Matthews, CNN’s AC360, Fox’s O’Reilly Factor, FOX’s The Sean Hannity Show, and Comedy Central’s The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. Print: USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, Rolling Stone, The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Advocate, Newsweek, TIME, The Nation, and Mother Jones.
I want to take a moment to thank other activists who also played key roles in exposing the ‘ex-gay’ myth. It was truly a team effort.
Dr. Jack Drescher, Peterson Toscano and Christine Bakke (Beyond Ex-Gay) Jim Burroway (BoxTurtle Bulletin), Mike Airhart and David Roberts (Ex-Gay Watch), Same Wolfe, Mark Potok, Christine Sun and the folks at Southern Poverty Law Center, the National Center for Lesbian Rights, filmmaker Morgan Jon Fox, Lisa Darden, Chaim Levin and Benji Unger (brave men and heroes who took on JONAH and won), Amity Buxton of The Straight Spouse Network, Bonnie Kaye (Straight Wives), Mel White and Jeff Lutes (SoulForce), Mitchell Gold (Faith in America) and so many others I’m too old to remember.
Also, we would be nowhere without help in the early days from key LGBT media who covered us: Joe Jervis (JoeMyGod), Andy Towle (Towleroad), Mike Rogers (Raw Story), the folks at The Advocate, and Norm Kent (South Florida Gay News).
Please give one final tax-deductible contribution to Truth Wins Out so our websites can be maintained. Our information helps people across the globe and it is critically important it remains available.
Truth Wins Out