More Woes For Chipotle, 80 Sickened In Boston

NBC News reports:

Norovirus has sickened 80 Boston College students who ate at a nearby Chipotle restaurant, state health officials said Tuesday. “Initial testing conducted by the State Public Health has shown the presence of norovirus,” the health department said in a statement.

Although many of the students said they feared they’d been struck with the same E. coli bacteria that made 52 people in nine states sick this fall after eating at Chipotle restaurants, experts said the pattern of illness didn’t look like E. coli. “Health officials in Boston believe this is likely a norovirus, which seems consistent with the pattern, in our estimation,” Chipotle spokesman Chris Arnold told NBC News.

City health officials ordered the outlet closed after an inspection showed the cooked chicken used to make burritos, tacos and other dishes was being kept at too low a temperature, an employee worked while showing signs of illness and because of the reports of possible foodborne illness. Chipotle said it had voluntarily closed the restaurant in the Brighton section of the city.

Last month’s issue in the Pacific Northwest prompted the closure of nearly 20 Chipotle outlets.