– Openly gay Tony nominee Gavin Creel has been sidelined from his starring role in Hair due to an onstage ankle injury.
– Spike Lee’s documentary of the Tony winning Passing Strange debuts tonight at NYC’s IFC Film Center. Next week the film will be available on demand via Sundance Network.
– UGH: Disney is in negotiations to turn the Beatles’ Yellow Submarine into a Broadway musical.
– The national tour of the Dreamgirls revival kicks off at Harlem’s Apollo Theatre on November 11th.
– Benefiting the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, the 19th Annual Divas Simply Singing! takes place October 10th at Beverly Hills’ Saban Theater. This year’s divas: Sheryl Lee Ralph, Loretta Devine, Yolanda Adams, Brenda Russell, Jenifer Lewis, Barbara Morrison, Frenchie Davis, N’dambi, Yo Yo, Niecy Nash, and Sam Harris. Get tickets here.
– The cast of Hair and other Broadway “notables” will rally at Central Park’s Delacourt Theater next Friday from 2:30pm-3:30pm to help publicize the National Equality March. Hair’s producers have canceled the October 11th performances so that the entire cast can attend the march.