– Brooklynites no longer have to schlep to Times Square for discount theatre tickets. The Theatre Development Fund has opened a TKTS booth above the Jay Street-Borough Hall subway stop on A,C,F lines.
– Even the stunt casting of Mario “Biceps Diva” Lopez couldn’t save A Chorus Line. The show closes on August 17th after well-received 18-month revival.
– Tony winner David Hyde Pierce will star in a Manhattan Theatre Club revival of Accent On Youth, set to open in April 2009.
-The 10th Annual Broadway Barks animal welfare event takes place on July 12th on Schubert Alley. Hosted by creators Mary Tyler Moore and Bernadette Peters, the event is free and features many local animal shelters who will be doing an onsite adopt-a-thon. Major stars of Broadway will appear, including Cheyenne Jackson, Nathan Lane, and Mario Lopez. I went to Broadway Barks last year and had a blast.
– Tony winner Christian Hoff will star in the revival of 1940’s Richard Rodgers-Lorenz Hart musical, Pal Joey. The show also will star Stockard Channing and Martha Plimpton and opens Dec. 11th at Studio 54. Trivia: Elaine Strich starred in the 1952 revival of the show.
– Musical legend Cyd Charrisse died at 87 this week. Turner Classic Movies will air Singin’ in the Rain, The Band Wagon, and Silk Stockings in a six-hour marathon on June 27, beginning at 8pm. Despite starring in numerous beloved MGM musicals, Charisse only appeared on Broadway once, in 1992’s Grand Hotel.