-The soundtrack to Hairspray has edged up to #2 on the Billboard Top 200, but Prince’s debut at #3 with Planet Earth will likely prevent any time at the top spot for Hairspray.
– Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal have returned to the cast of Rent, reprising the roles they created. Rent is currently the seventh longest running show in Broadway history. A “remixed” version of Rent will debut in London in October, with updated music and references to HIV therapy.
– Claire Danes will make her Broadway debut this fall as Eliza Doolittle in George Bernard Shaw’s classic, Pygmalion. Tony winner Jefferson Mays will play Henry Higgins.
-The first preview for the Central Park Delacourt Theatre’s production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream was cancelled after director Daniel Sullivan fell through a trap-door on the stage, breaking four ribs and suffering a collapsed lung.
– Lewis Flinn, who wrote the music for The Little Dog Laughed, has written the music for the upcoming CBS game show The Power Of 10. Flinn says the music for the game show will be similar to that of Little Dog, but with “more tension”.
– A never-performed Mark Twain play, Is He Dead?, will debut on Broadway starring Tony winner Norbert Leo Butz. Twain’s play was adapted by David Ives and has its world premiere on November 29th.
– Xanadu’s show-stealing Mary Testa says that that she was once blacklisted from Broadway for “taking liberties” with Stephen Sondheim’s score as Marta in Company. According to Testa, a casting director so loathed her interpretation that he prevented her from working on Broadway for 12 years.