Gay Partners Residency Bill Before Congress

Legislation was introduced in Congress today that would allow Americans to sponsor their foreign same-sex partner for legal residency, a right currently afforded only to married heterosexuals. The bill is called the Uniting American Families Act and was introduced in the Senate by Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT), and in the House by Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY). The bill would add the term “permanent partner” to parts of immigration law that now refers only to the legally married .