Rolling Stone reports:
After months of speculation, a medical examiner has ruled that Tom Petty died of an accidental overdose, according to a statement from the Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner. The Hall of Fame musician had taken several pain medications, including Fentanyl (including acetylfentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl), oxycodone and generic Xanax. Other medications included generic Restoril (a sleep aid) and generic Celexa (which treats depression).
The coroner’s office listed Petty’s official cause of death as “multisystem organ failure due to resuscitated cardiopulmonary arrest due to mixed drug toxicity,” noting the singer suffered from coronary artery atherosclerosis and emphysema. TMZ reported that he’d been prescribed the drugs to treat emphysema, knee issues and a fractured hip; the coroner’s report also said he had coronary artery disease.
Petty’s hip reportedly became a “full-on break” on the day his death, perhaps prompting him to take more pain meds than he should have.