London Mayor: No Red Carpet For Donald Trump

CNN reports:

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has reiterated his opposition to US President Donald Trump being afforded an elaborate state visit when he comes to the UK next year. “State visits are different from a normal visit and at a time when the President of the USA has policies that many in our country disagree with, I am not sure it is appropriate for our government to roll out the red carpet,” Khan told CNN in an interview Monday.

Last week, the White House confirmed that Trump’s state visit to the United Kingdom has been delayed until 2018. The delay comes amid concern that there will be mass protests against Trump in the British capital. Trump met with UK Prime Minister Theresa May at the G20 summit in Hamburg and told reporters he would be visiting London. Earlier this year, more than 1.8 million people signed a petition seeking to block Trump’s UK trip over fears that it would “cause embarrassment to Her Majesty the Queen.”

More from The Hill:

Khan has in the past called for the British government to cancel a state visit from Trump and has spoken out against Trump’s travel ban. Trump previously went after the mayor after an attack in London earlier this year. After the attack, Khan said there was no reason to worry about increased police presence in London, Trump then targeted Khan in a tweet, saying: “At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is ‘no reason to be alarmed!'” He later doubled down on his comments.